For the 2007 temporary exhibitions, all three of our new exhibitions celebrate special anniversaries.
Memories from the last 40 years
The Dales Market town of Settle has a long tradition of music making including the musical friendship of Dr Buck and Edward Elgar, the Zion Chapel Orchestra, the Giggleswick Church Orchestra and productions of Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas which led to Settle Choral Society. Settle Orchestra developed from an ad hoc group who were part of the Settle Operatic Society's production in 1967. Number of players gradually increased from 8 who tackled a symphony to present day membership of 50 plus! We have two founder members still in the Orchestra who must have enjoyed playing hundreds of pieces of classical music. Throughout the 40 years the Orchestra has been a community orchestra with the emphasis on the inclusion of young players, many of whom have progressed to a musical career. There has been a strong link with schools and music centres. We have performed special schools concerts and organised workshops, a concerto day and a training scheme for young double bass players. Highlights over the years include a concert in 1976 for the centenary of the Settle-Carlisle Railway, and playing in Settle market place to commemorate the association of Dr Buck and Edward Elgar. Recently we have joined the Richmondshire Orchestra to study and perform the Sibelius 2nd Symphony in a day, conducted by Simon Wright. We particularly enjoy joining our friends in the Langcliffe Singers with whom we have performed Opera Galas, the Magic Flute, the Yeoman of the Guard, Verdi Requiem and Elijah and we look forward to our Summer "Last Night of the Proms" concert in 2007 to round off our celebration year.
List of Orchestral Conductors and Leaders
1967 Michael Ashcroft
1968 Maurice Pearce
1969-1990 Arthur Butterworth
1991 Peter Young
1991 Alan White
1992 Howard Rogerson
1967-1974 Amy Birkbeck
1974 Joyce Haigh
1975-1977 Eileen Riddiough
1978 Ralph Barker
1978-1979 Julia Quarmby
1980 Jon Buchan
1981-1982 Mandy Wilson
1983 Mary Rafferty
1983-1988 Brian Carlile
1988 Wendy Cann
1989 Brian Carlile
1989 Julia Quarmby
1990 Barry Gommersall
1990 David Fuller
1990 Wendy Cann
1991-2000 Anne Heaton
2001 Kenneth Mitchell
2002 Tracy Keely
In honour of the composer's 150th birthday and his 50-year friendship with Dr Charles Buck of Settle
The school first opened in temporary premises at Undercliffe in Duke Street on 23 January 1907 to prepare pupils for Matriculation, for the Preliminary Examination, for the Elementary School Teacher's Certificate and for the Oxford Local Examinations. It was to serve quite a wide area around Settle and had a Headmistress and staff of four teachers. The fees were two guineas a term. In January 1910 the first Inspection reported that there were 36 girls. A new school was built on 'Overend Close' and opened in 1913. It was planned to accommodate 100 girls, though there were 120 by the 1930s.
Expansion in late 1950s and 1973
View of enlarged school from the river in 1950s. The dining hall with its corrugated roof was added around this time. It is still used as part of the Craft and Design Area
The single storey Maths block ready for the builders in late 1972
The Library, Offices and classrooms forming the upper floor under construction in 1973
Original main entrance in March 2007, the widened drive became necessary because of delivery vehicles.
The 'William Bradley Building' named after a former Chairman of Governors, was opened in 2002. It houses four classrooms each for English and Maths
View of the College from the hill in 2007 (repeating one taken 25 years earlier). There are over 40 teachers and a similar number of clerical and technical staff and those providing teaching support, caterers and cleaners.
The Settle College Centenary Exhibition at the Museum of North Craven Life in The Folly was launched on 21 June 2007: please see the 'News' page for the Press Release.
Temporary Exhibitions for other years may be found by clicking on the relevant links below: